Drivers Education Mission Statement
The Bellmore-Merrick Central High School District Driver Education is committed to excellence. The program is offered only to residents of Bellmore and Merrick while attending a District or Private High School. The Driver Education course is intended to educate students (age 16 or older) on appropriate driving skills and habits as well as playing a responsible role in the highway transportation/safety system. Course highlights include 24 hours of classroom instruction and 24 hours of behind the wheel training and observation. Students who satisfactorily complete the course are eligible to receive a Certificate of Completion.
Benefits of the Course
Students will receive an MV-285 (Certificate of Completion) from the district in the mail 3-4 weeks after the completion of the entire course.
The MV-285 Certificate allows:
1. NYS Permit holders to schedule a road test
2. Students must submit the MV-285 and the MV-262 to the DMV Official on the day of the road test. Once successfully passing the road test; a 17 year old will receive a senior license (16 year olds will only receive a junior license).
3. The MV-285 provides an insurance reduction to students who qualify (dependent upon insurance provider participation).
All refunds must be requested by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org If a student cannot be accommodated because classes are filled, all monies will be refunded. If a student makes a schedule change request on the specified date and cannot be accommodated, a refund will be issued. Tuition refunds will be granted on the final posting date, BEFORE MIDNIGHT. There will be no exceptions.
Absences and Make-Ups
A student is allowed to make up to 3 absences in either car or lecture class. NY State requires all absences be made up in order to pass the program. More than 3 absences in either class (not combined) will result in the student failing the course. There are no "excused" absences. Absences due to sports, SATs, ACTs (or other exams), are still considered absences.Make-ups will be arranged directly with the instructor. If you are absent, you should speak with your instructor at the next class you attend.
1) I will come to class with a pen and notebook, prepared to take notes and be an active participant.
2) I will always obey all New York State vehicle and traffic laws.
3) I understand that I must successfully complete both the road and theory portions of the course in order to receive Certificate of Completion aka MV-285.
4) I will conduct myself in a responsible and respectful manner at all times, in both car and lecture classes.
5) I understand that all cell phones must be turned OFF during car and lecture classes.
6) I understand the Absence/Make-up section of this application.
7) I understand that in order to take advantage of the road portion of the course, I must gain additional practice time with my parent/legal guardian during approved hours.
8) I understand that 50 hours of parent supervised instruction is required when applying for a license under the age of 18. (MV-262 is also required the day of the road test.)
9) In the event of a collision during the conduct of the car class, I will give a full and detailed statement to the driving school regarding that collision.
10) I will carry my Lerner’s Permit and High School I.D. at all times, and present it when requested.
If it is determined that a student is impaired in anyway, they will be asked to leave the class, which will result in consequences as per the district student code of conduct policy.