Drivers Education Mission Statement
The Bellmore-Merrick Central High School District Driver Education is committed to excellence. The program is offered only to residents of Bellmore and Merrick. The Driver Education course is intended to educate students (age 16 or older) on appropriate driving skills and habits as well as playing a responsible role in the highway transportation/safety system. Course highlights include 24 hours of classroom instruction and 24 hours of behind the wheel training and observation. Students who satisfactorily complete the course are eligible to receive the MV-285: Student Certificate of Completion. The MV-285 Student Certificate of Completion allows:
1. a NYS Junior Permit holder to schedule a road test
2. young drivers a possible reduction in automobile insurance cost (dependent upon insurance provider participation)
3. a 17 year old to receive a senior license (MV-285 form must be submitted to local DMV to attain this benefit) DMV MV-278 (5 Hour cards) MAY be issued by the Lecture Teacher during the course, IF available and time permits.
All refunds must be requested to email@example.com If a student cannot be accommodated because classes are filled, all monies will be refunded. If a student makes a schedule change request on the specified date and cannot be accommodated, all monies will be refunded. Tuition refunds will be granted on the final posting date, BEFORE MIDNIGHT. There will be no exceptions.
A student is allowed to make up to 3 absences in either car or lecture class. All absences must be made up. More than 3 absences in either class (not combined) will result in the student failing the course. There are no "excused" absences. Absences due to sports, SATs, ACTs (or other exams), are still considered absences.
Make-ups are usually done at the end of the program. They will be arranged directly with the instructor. If you are absent, you should speak with your instructor at the next class that you attend.
1) I will always obey all New York State vehicle and traffic laws.
2) I understand that I must successfully complete both the road and theory portions of the course in order to receive Certificate of Completion aka MV-285.
3) I will conduct myself in a responsible manner at all times in both car and lecture classes.
4) I understand that all cell phones must be turned OFF during car and lecture classes.
5) I understand the Absence/Make-up section of this application.
6) I understand that in order to take advantage of the road portion of the course, I must gain additional practice time with my parent/legal guardian during approved hours.
7) I understand that 50 hours of parent supervised instruction is required when applying for a license under the age of 18. (MV-262 is also required in order to schedule a road test.)
8) In the event of a collision during the conduct of the car class, I will give a full and detailed statement to the driving school regarding that collision.
9) I will carry my Lerner’s Permit and High School I.D. at all times, and present it when requested.